What can we use to understand and classify life on Earth? Students will actively classify different organisms. They will also learn how to use a dichotomous key and use it to identify actual fossil specimens.
Program will run for 2 hours.
30 MINUTES – GALLERY TIME
– Describe fossils and explain how fossils are formed and are dated
– Classify different types of fossils
– Hunt for clues to life in different times
– Visit the Museum Store
30 MINUTES – LAB
– Define classification
– Classify different forms of life
– Define a dichotomous key and how it is used
– Utilize a dichotomous key to classify genuine fossils
– Fossil Dig
TAKE HOME ITEMS
– Keep 3 fossils excavated from the Fossil Dig
VIRTUAL Field Trip
Program will run for approximately 1 hour.
– Definition of different types of fossils with fossil samples
– Classification Activity
– Why a dichotomous key is important
– Why was the Brontosaurus reclassified?
– Careers in Paleontology
– Q + A with a Tel lus Educator
PRE + POST ACTIVITIES CURRICULUM PACKET
– Vocabulary Activity
– Pre-recorded Video
– Scavenger hunt (use with video)
– Dichotomous Key Activity (use with video)