The Earth’s crust is continually shifting, crashing, and spreading, creating various geologic happenings. In this exploration, come learn more about our restless
earth. Program will run for 2 hours.
Program will run for 2 hours.
30 MINUTES – GALLERY TIME
– Observe planet Earth and how it is constructed from tectonic plates
– Learn about how plate tectonics shaped Georgia in the past
– Visit the Museum Store
– Gem Panning and Careers in Geology
30 MINUTES – LAB
– Study plate movement from Pangaea to 50 million years into the future
– Discuss how planet Earth’s crust is divided into numerous plates that move
– Students will understand through various manipulatives: plate movement, subduction zones, rift valleys, convergent, divergent, transform boundaries and hot spots
TAKE HOME ITEMS
– Keep the gemstones found in Gem Panning