What is an element? Have you ever wondered why elements in the same group number on the periodic table have similar chemical reactivity? Who thought up the idea of a periodic table? How did it get its name? How does it affect our everyday lives? Come answer these questions and more as we learn about the basics and the makeup of the periodic table. Program will run for 2 hours.
Program will run for 2 hours.
30 MINUTES – GALLERY TIME
– Discuss Earth’s crust and its elements
– Observe the periodic table and consider its organization
– Participate in gallery wide scavenger hunt
– Visit the Museum Store
– Gem Panning and Careers in Geology
30 MINUTES – LAB
– Students will understand through various manipulatives: periods, groups or families, metals, non metals, transition metals, halogens, noble gases, valence electrons, basic atomic structure, etc.
– Students will play “It’s Elemental ,” an element identification game
TAKE HOME ITEMS
– Keep the gemstones found in Gem Panning
email@example.com • (770) 606-5699
Field Trip Reservations
Virtual Field Trip Reservations